Monday, April 16, 2007

My day with the Man who could possibly be next President of the United States

FRESH, PROMISING, REAL, IN-TUNE, SINCERE. These are all the words I heared as I listened to people conversate while they waited for Illinois Senator Barack Obama to arrive at his fundraiser in Tampa last Sunday. More than 2,000 people filled the courtyard to hear, and get a glimpse of the man who could very well be our next President.

Florida A&M University's band kept the crowd entertained. A local singer gave a rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.... then with a rousing introduction.... "Senator Obama, America's been waiting for you!"
Obama appeared.





(that's him coming down the stairs... it really is... give me a break people, I took thees pics on my phone!) He's a natural crowd pleaser. From the start he was personable. He praised the band, joked around and even danced a little jig while asking the band members to show us a little of their moves. He gave us a little background information on himself. He talked about his heritage, and touched on the early parts of his political career. He also shared a thought his 8 year old daughter Malia discussed with him shortly after he announced his presidential bid. This was the kids first road trip. Senator Obama says as the family rode on a chartered bus through Iowa his daughters discussed how much fun they were having. Then Malia turned to him and asked, "but what are we doing here?" Obama says that's a question he often asks himself. What he comes up with, is his dream of bringing Americans together for the better of America.
"If there is a child somewhere here in Tampa that cannot read, that makes a difference in my life if that's not my child. It diminishes my life.
"If there's a veteran in Chicago huddling under a bridge, going through Dumpsters because he's homeless after serving his country, you don't have to know that veteran to feel diminished in your patriotism that something like that is allowed to happen."
Senator Obama also touched on the War in Iraq. His stance is congress shouldn't have to wheel and deal to bring troops home because they shouldn't be there in the first place. At this point it doesn't seem like Senator Obama will have any problem bringing America together. As I overheard a woman who appeared to be in her early 70's say, "look around... there are white people here, blacks, asians, hispanics, young and old. Obama is fresh, he has new ideas... he's Kennedy like."

1 comment:

Paula D. said...

I love me some Obama!!! I met him 2 years ago in DC. He signed 2 copies of his 1st book for me.
Go Team Obama!