Friday, April 20, 2007

Who's the blame?

"Rappers routinely defame and demean black women and call them worse names than I ever did." Don Imus

Lets get this straight, rappers did not invent "Nappy Headed Hoe's." Honestly I doubt Don Imus even listen's to rap music. I've heard the term "Hoe" on many occassions in songs... but "Nappy Headed"... I can't recall.

The comments made by Imus were not made in fun.... if that's what he intended then he should be old enough and wise enough to know those words are not funny to some.

Yes, rap lyrics need to be re-evaluated. But, it's not responsible for the moral decline of America as everyone tries to make it seem.

"Hoes are rustlic
Daddy's in the house
We got hoes and hoes and hoes
Prices so low
We pratically given the coochie coo away
Shake that booty, Shake that booty
Its not a bake sell, its a cake sell
God Damn It."
Kid Rock- Pimp of the Nation


"Yeah!
Attitude
Some fuckin' attitude
I can't believe what you say to me
You've got some attitude
Inside that bitter brain
There's gotta be a whore
If you don't shut your mouth
You're gonna feel the floor, yeah!"
Guns N' Roses- Attitude


"If you're a little lovesick
Woman I got the cure
Let me be your preacher
And you can be my whore
I feel your heart pumpin honey don't say not
I wanna dive in your river
Take you down real slow
And then your body will quiver
And the river will flow"
Bon Jovi- River of Love


The lyrics from every one of these songs could be deemed offensive to women by some.
All are by white men.... none are rap.

I write this to show we can all find fault in something to point a finger as the source of blame.

Let's stop pointing fingers!

Parents- Spend time with your kids. Listen to what they listen to. Know what's going on in their world. Don't let the television and their friends raise them.

Men- Treat every woman as you would like for a man to treat your sister, mother and grandmother.

Women- Stop disrespecting yourself.

During Oprah's two day "What Now" discussion everyone blamed the men. Not one person pointed a finger at the women. If that girl in Nelly's "Tip Drill" video didn't ALLOW him to swipe a credit card through her but cheeks we would have never seen it.
If those half naked girls didn't ALLOW Snoop Dogg to parade them around like doggs on leashes we wouldn't have seen it. If Lil' Kim or Trina didn't refer to THEMSELVES as "Bitches and Hoes" maybe men wouldn't think that it's okay to do the same. It's time we take responsibility for the way are perceived. I'm not saying women are at fault... i'm saying we all are.

1 comment:

Elle* said...

You are so right...
But then, people go "See, it's not just meeee, and keep on doing what they are doing." I think this whole thing will die down, and the madness will continue. All I can do is stop listening to it.